Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Fall Sensory Overload

Friday officially marks the beginning of fall. 
Holy Jack-o-lanterns I love FALL!
Football, cooler weather, Halloween and Thanksgiving...
and of course our anniversary, my birthday and most importantly
Baby B's birthday!!  
This past weekend, the weather was perfect for some comfort grub.
Chad requested a crock pot roast so that's what he got.
Thank goodness I make so much, there are plenty of leftovers for the week.

I still have an infatuation with candles.  Pillows handbags and candles. 
We actually have a shelf that sags in the middle in the laundry room because of my candle stash.
Michel candles (found at TJMaxx)
smell fantastic.  I've got the handsoap in "Harvest"
and the candle in "Spiced Pumpkin"
The house smelled so yummy all weekend!

I make this roast ALL the time.  Usually when the weather turns cool,
and again at Christmas (and a few times in between)
It's so easy:
Layer the beef (cut into large pieces) on the bottom.
Then toss in peeled and quartered potatoes, one large sliced onion,
and a bag of baby carrots.
For the gravy; add 2 cans french onion soup
and two cans cream of mushroom.
Sometimes I change it up and substitute one of the cans of french onion
or cream of mushroom for beef consumme but it never really matters.
I cook on high for around 8 hours or low for 10+ hours.
Serve over rice.

I never think to add bread to my meals but I actually
made some cornbread this time.
I added a can of corn to Jiffy corn muffin batter and it was really good.
Gotta love the Jiffy!

Speaking of corn, I also made a crock pot corn dip that is sooo good. 
I got the recipe from a friend-of-a-friend last year and have yet to try it myself.
In a small crock pot:
1 block of softened cream cheese
1 block pepper jack cheese
1 small block velveeta
(her recipe called for velveeta pepper jack cheese but the
Food Lion didn't have it so I used original velveeta AND pepper jack)
1 small can diced green chiles
4 small cans of shoepeg corn
(recipe called for 2, but
I love corn, so I added 2 more).
Serve with tortilla chips.  Yummmmy!

And of course, it wouldn't be fall (or summer, winter or spring) without the merlot
Come back fall weather!!!! 
Where did you go?

1 comment:

  1. I'm with ya! I LOVE my fall spice candles and hate to put them up (and sometimes I don't). :) Hope y'all are well!

    ReplyDelete